Monday, November 3, 2008

My Aurora Morning

Well, in the last few weeks I have been spending a lot of time on horseback. Regularly meeting up with my friends with horses and loading them into trailers and hauling them to state parks with horseback riding trails, and then enjoying the fall colors here in Minnesota for the day.

Last Tuesday was no different. Showed up to my friend Tammy's house about 7:45am to load horses. But that morning would prove to be slightly more eventful. See when we headed out to the pasture, this is what we found:

A brand new little filly about 2 hours old.

And here's the thing----it was a huge surprise!!! See Tammy didn't know that she was pregnant. Slightly alarming to a woman that raises and trains horses for a living. See, this little girls momma, well she's a pretty big horse and she hid her pregnancy very well. And poor thing, I've been running her up and down hills, trudged her through water, sliding down a muddy slope with her sliding down behind me, and she never complained.

And she never exhibited usual horse signs of an impeding deliver. No agitation, no dropped utters filling with milk, no restlessness. Nope just went out to pasture one night, and had a baby.


Oh my goodness, is that not one of the cutest things you have ever seen in your life?


Hello blogging friends I'd like to officially have you meet Kat's Aurora Morning (and her momma Cheyenne).
She's named after me and the Greek goddess of the dawn. Is she not one of the most beautiful creatures on earth?


Her momma is half Morgan and half Arabian. And her Daddy (at least the one we think is her Daddy) is a full blooded Arabian.


Are you stuck on the "think her Daddy" part? Yeah, see we shouldn't really be having foals right now. And 11 months ago, neither of the stallions got loose to spread their love seed. Which means Cheyenne backed herself up to the electric fence, and Daddy and her made beautiful love through the fence (that's what we are telling Aurora-that is the product of a beautiful night of love, not some lustful night through a fence).


Oh my goodness, I am in LOVE with this little girl!


I mean look at her adorable little pink nose, and the cute little whiskers on her chin.



You should feel her mane and her ears--heaven on earth!


And look at those eyelashes!


And seeing a new baby nurse is so very sweet. The little tongue sticking out and little slurping sounds.


And then after your belly gets full, you get very very sleepy.


Sweet dreams honey. You were the best surprise I've ever found.

1 comments:

Kathynruss said...

Isn't she just the cutest thing! And, wow, her parents must have really wanted to make her!

She kind of reminds me of my niece who went into the ER with bad cramps and had a 7 lb. baby that neither she or her regular doctor knew anything about!